Shin splints is quite normal for the athletes who are basically runners. Right treatment done without delay will help one to recover from the problem fast.
As the patient of MTSS suffers a lot for pain and inflammation so the first step that doctors do is that they try to reduce the pain. For the sake of diminishing pain doctors firstly suggest to take rest. Secondly, they tell patients to try some other low-impact activities, like swimming. Besides, ice bag, elevation and analgesics, like paracetamol, are also used to reduce pain. After the pain comes under the hold, then the real treatment of MTSS starts. This involves:
- Orthotic therapy to settle the structure of foot in its suitable position. Use of orthotics helps patients to a great extent.
- Then, doctors apply a rehabilitation technique to make sure that there is enough conditioning to bear training loads. Cause–
- Over pronation is the pivotal cause of MTSS. In most of the cases, specialists say, “it happens during running.” Pronation happens when a there is a turn so that the palm or sole is facing downward. At the moment of pronation the calf muscles try to reduce pronation. This continuous effort raises the burden of overload on the interosseous membrane, which causes micro-tears at the part of link at the tibia.
- One of the terrible risk factors for MTSS is supinated foot. Sometimes, pronation is needed for the body to bury the shock. And if your foot is under pronating, it leaves a huge dominating force which is absorbed by tibia.
- Alike all terrible injuries Shin splints also happens while one’s body is not able to mend the damaged cells quickly. There is a limitation of a human body even in repairing the damages of internal parts. In the case of MTSS human body fails to repair this irreplaceable damage. Often times, it happens due to over exercise and running too fast.
- Over-striding while running can also result shin splints. While running one needs to repeat a single pose that is limited in between striking the ground by heel with the leg outstretched. This is one of the causes of shin split.